FLOTEK ANNOUNCES THIRD QUARTER 2022 FINANCIAL RESULTS
FLOTEK ANNOUNCES THIRD QUARTER 2022 FINANCIAL RESULTS
HOUSTON, November 8, 2022 - Flotek Industries, Inc. (“Flotek” or the “Company”) (NYSE: FTK) today announced third quarter results for the three months ended September 30, 2022.
- Total third quarter revenue of $45.6MM increased 55% sequentially, 4.5x year-over-year, and exceeded full year 2021 revenue of $43.3MM
- Announced agreement with ProFrac Services, LLC to supply 20 JP3 Verax® analyzers with six placed in service in the fourth quarter
- Adjusted EBITDA as a percentage of revenue improved for the fifth consecutive quarter, to negative 18% compared to negative 25% in the second quarter 2022 and negative 42% in the first quarter 2022
- Quarter-end cash and cash equivalents of $8.6MM was impacted by continued rapid growth and the associated increase in working capital. As of November 8, 2022, cash had improved to $11.1MM
John W. Gibson, Jr., Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Flotek stated, “We are pleased to report our third quarter 2022 results in which revenue of $45.6MM increased 55% compared to the second quarter 2022 and 4.5x compared to the third quarter of 2021. We doubled the number of ProFrac fleets we serviced sequentially, with growth continuing in the fourth quarter. In addition, our transactional chemistry business continues its growth trajectory, achieving double digit sequential revenue growth in the quarter, and gaining market share for the 5th quarter in a row. Overall we served approximately 8.4% of total active US frac fleets in the third quarter.”
“Operational momentum continued during the quarter. Gross margin of negative $1.8MM was less negative in Q3 compared to Q2, and included $1.2MM of non-cash contract asset amortization related to the ProFrac contract and a $1.0MM write down of inventory related to discontinuing the FDA-regulated hand sanitizer product line. We continue to market the remaining professional chemistries product portfolio. We are achieving operational efficiencies and economies of scale while rapidly increasing revenue. The difficult freight environment experienced in Q2 improved, and freight spend as a percentage of revenue declined significantly in Q3.”
“The third quarter displayed strong revenue growth, improved gross margins, and increased volumes. We are confident that our workforce, infrastructure, and processes are sufficient to capture additional market share. We are pleased that improving gross margins resulted in higher Adjusted EBITDA as a percentage of revenue for the fifth quarter in a row. While Adjusted EBITDA in absolute terms declined from a loss of $7.2MM in the second quarter to a loss of $8.4MM in the third quarter, included in that number is a total bonus accrual of $1.9MM associated with the first three quarters of 2022. In conclusion, the market is robust, our execution is outstanding, and achieving positive Adjusted EBITDA remains our primary focus.”
Recent Operational Highlights
- Served approximately 8.4% of active US frac fleets in the third quarter, representing an order of magnitude increase over the average number of fleets served in 2021.
- Announced an agreement with ProFrac to supply them with 20 of JP3’s Verax® analyzers to be used in the field to enable displacement of diesel fuel with field gas. Our Verax® analyzers have been deployed on six ProFrac fleets, and the initial feedback is positive. Industry research shows that maximizing the use of field gas can result in reduction in diesel fuel consumption of 50%+. This reduces pollution and greenhouse emissions associated with burning diesel fuel at the wellsite, but also reduces fuel burned by delivery trucks and the wear and tear caused by truck rolls.
Key Third Quarter 2022 Financial Results
- Total revenues: Flotek generated third quarter 2022 consolidated revenue of $45.6 million, up 55% from $29.4 million in the second quarter of 2022 and up 348% compared to the third quarter of 2021. Higher revenue was driven by continued increases in activity across our customer base in both the Chemistry Technologies and Data Analytics segments. Total revenue included a $1.2 million non-cash amortization of contract assets that reduced revenue.
- Gross margin: Flotek reported gross margin of negative $1.8 million, up from negative $2.3 million in the second quarter of 2022. This included a non-cash revenue reduction of $1.2 million associated with the ProFrac contract asset and $1.0 million inventory write down associated with our decision to cease the manufacture and sale of FDA-regulated hand sanitizers.
- Selling, general, and administrative expense: Flotek reported SG&A of $9.0 million, up 22% compared to the second quarter of 2022 of $7.4 million, and up 121% compared to the third quarter of 2021 of $4.1 million. The increase in SG&A includes a $1.9 million bonus accrual.
- Net Income and EPS: The Company recorded net income of negative $18.8 million, or a loss of $0.25 per basic and diluted share, in the third quarter 2022 compared to net income of $6.2 million, or positive $0.08 per basic share and negative $0.05 per diluted share, in the second quarter of 2022, and $0.5 million ($0.01 per basic and diluted share) in the third quarter of 2021. Net income in the third quarter 2022 included a $4.25 million non-cash loss associated with the revaluation of convertible notes.
- Non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA: Adjusted EBITDA for the third quarter of 2022 was negative $8.4 million, a decrease of $1.2 million compared to negative $7.2 million in the second quarter 2022, and a decrease of $2.1 million compared to negative $6.3 million in the third quarter of 2021. Adjusted EBITDA includes a $1.9 million bonus accrual.
Balance Sheet and Liquidity
- As of September 30, 2022, the Company reported cash and cash equivalents of $8.6 million compared to $33.1 million at the end of the second quarter 2022. Rapid volume growth impacted our working capital in the quarter. We are implementing procedures to improve our order to cash processes, and as of November 8, 2022, our cash and cash equivalents had improved to $11.1 million.
- The Company is currently marketing for sale the Monahans, TX facility and we expect further progress on that sale in the coming quarters. The Monahans facility remained classified as held for sale as of September 30, 2022.
Conference Call Details
Flotek will host a conference call on November 9, 2022, at 8:00 a.m. CST (9:00 a.m. EST) to discuss its third quarter results for the three months ended September 30, 2022. Participants may access the call through Flotek’s website at www.flotekind.com under “Webcasts’’ or by telephone at 1-844-835-9986 approximately five minutes prior to the start of the call. Following the conclusion of the conference call, a recording of the call will be available on the Company’s website.
About Flotek Industries, Inc.
Flotek Industries, Inc. creates solutions to reduce the environmental impact of energy on air, water, land and people. A technology-driven, specialty green chemistry and data company, Flotek helps customers across industrial, commercial, and consumer markets improve their Environmental, Social, and Governance performance. Flotek’s Chemistry Technologies segment develops, manufactures, packages, distributes, delivers, and markets high-quality cleaning, disinfecting and sanitizing products for commercial, governmental and personal consumer use. Additionally, Flotek empowers the energy industry to maximize the value of their hydrocarbon streams and improve return on invested capital through its real-time data platforms and green chemistry technologies. Flotek serves downstream, midstream, and upstream customers, both domestic and international. Flotek is a publicly traded company headquartered in Houston, Texas, and its common shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol “FTK.” For additional information, please visit www.flotekind.com.
Forward -Looking Statements
Certain statements set forth in this press release constitute forward-looking statements (within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934) regarding Flotek Industries, Inc.’s business, financial condition, results of operations and prospects. Words such as will, continue, expects, anticipates, intends, plans, believes, seeks, estimates and similar expressions or variations of such words are intended to identify forward-looking statements, but are not the exclusive means of identifying forward-looking statements in this press release. Although forward-looking statements in this press release reflect the good faith judgment of management, such statements can only be based on facts and factors currently known to management. Consequently, forward-looking statements are inherently subject to risks and uncertainties, and actual results and outcomes may differ materially from the results and outcomes discussed in the forward-looking statements. Further information about the risks and uncertainties that may impact the company are set forth in the Company’s most recent filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Form 10-K (including, without limitation, in the “Risk Factors” section thereof), and in the Company’s other SEC filings and publicly available documents. Readers are urged not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date of this press release. The Company undertakes no obligation to revise or update any forward-looking statements in order to reflect, any event or circumstance that may arise after the date of this press release.
SVP, Corporate Development & Sustainability
P: (713) 726-5322/*